Lent

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. And today is my first attempt at Lent, ever. I thought about what to do for this season (because I firmly believe that there is a season for everything and knowing what is fitting is close to wisdom).

If Lent is about learning discipline, about training towards godliness, seeing grace and dwelling in mercy as our physicality falls shorts, as we see our own humanity, our mortality, then perhaps I must work towards something that I consistently fall very far short in. Prayer. I don't pray well. I think a lot. but prayer? what exactly does that look, sound, feel like?

So here's my Lent-ing. My giving up in order to take in. How I will fast and pray. It's simple. I will not eat sweets and I will pray. I will give up sugar and sugary things because I want to remind myself of what I need compared to what I only want. I need food right now but I need real food. Protein and fiber and carbs and vitamins and minerals. I want only what I need. I also need the presence of Christ and so I will pray. This one will be harder to physically live out. The absence of sugar will remind me to seek the presence of Christ, but how exactly and when exactly and where exactly will this praying be? Here are my guidelines so far: everyday prayer. no matter when or where or why: a little everyday. Falling in asleep will be a time sanctioned for prayer. I will pray for others.  I will record what I pray. I will read the Psalms. This is a progression but my hope is that this season of Lent will be a thin place: where I experience the presence and grace of Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

writing at JCup

transitions

Everything into Enough