My Life Since May 13

My brother graduated this past weekend, and since it was West Point, they have an entire week of pomp and ceremony, which is really quite cool. I'm uber proud of my big brother; four years have flown by though and I can't believe that West Point is finished for  him and he is now looking forward to his marriage THIS Saturday. Can you believe it? That kid who taught me how to sled, to be brave, to look forward to eternity instead of here, is getting married. Crazy. Crazy.  


My family, so obviously quirky and flawed and unusual. I love them a lot and this picture reminds me of  that.


Again, quirky. (a nice way to say weird. I swear every family photo we take could make it into that Awkward Family Photos book. At least here we weren't trying to be normal). 


We three represented the family at the formal banquet where Michelle Obama spoke. Her speech was actually very good; conservative (probably aware of the majority of the audience: gun-carrying, independent, most-likely Republican whites) and about the importance of family. After several speeches at other events, hers was refreshingly good, and short (a nice relief). She had done her research, using West Point lingo like a pro and seemingly conscious of the struggles facing the cadets.

But don't let these pictures fool you. My weekend wasn't all roses and wine. Although we look marvelously put-together for this fancy occasion, we actually camped the entire four days in a small, two-room cabin with no running water. I shouldn't complain; we managed just fine. But for this banquet, my beautiful black heels pinched my toes so hard my feet were swollen, and the wine, though excellent, gave me a crushing headache and the roses were re-gifted the next morning.

The trip was good and bad and long. I'm glad Isaac is graduated and that I am home, in my own bed with a private bathroom next door.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

writing at JCup

transitions

Everything into Enough