Yesterday's Post That Didn't Post


This is my dinner and my pre-dinner reading. I didn’t actually cook this splendid meal; it was my mother.



 It was truly amazing. Rice and steak stir-fry with red and yellow peppers on top and cooked cabbage on the side.

 I love cabbage. It makes me feel uber-German and reminds me of fogged up windows from dinner simmering on the stove, my dad coming in after work, hungry for dinner and family quiet; my mom in the kitchen cooking; my brothers and I waiting and happy.  


A lot of people don’t like cabbage, but they should…

1. It tastes really good; just add salt.

2. This food is very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Calcium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Potassium and Manganese.” That’s a direct quote from http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2376/2. Yeah, you saw it here.

3. While eating cabbage, you can imagine you’re a poor German immigrant living in dirty tenement housing and working at some factory without having bathed for a week. It’s a nice, be-comforted-someone’s-got-it-worse-than-you thing after a long day.

4. You know you want to.

Along with eating cabbage and feeling more German than usual today, I was listening to the newly-discovered (at least for my narrow world) Avett Brothers and their song Murder in the City when I remembered a letter that I wrote when I was ten to be opened only by my twenty-year-old self. So I tore apart my closest until I found it (surprising because we’ve moved three times since then and I’ve been in college for two years, but I’ve always been good at keeping things. Aka: being a pack rat. I used to save the plastic tic-tac containers. You never know what life will throw at you, and you just might be happy you had a plastic tic-tac container handy.)

But I had forgotten how immature ten year olds sound when they’re reflecting on the mysteries of life. I won’t share it, though I laughed for a long time. But this hunt (quest really since my hair was disheveled and I accidently used my back muscles instead of my leg muscles to lift the large box that contained that sought-after letter) turned up more childhood/adolscence things that smacked of immaturity but brought insane amounts of laughter. I took an old journal from when I was nine out to the kitchen and read it out loud to the giggles and hoots of certain family members. Times like that make me miss my older brother who is away at school. He would share my hilarity at the absurdity of our growing up.

That box and journal and letter made me realize how weird, strange, and ridiculous my growing up was, but also it made me thankful for it; I’ve learned so much and become myself because of it (cheesy but true). And that’s another thing I want my blog to do; I want to chronicle the blessings in my life, like really good cabbage for dinner.

PS don’t worry, my zero followers, I haven’t already dropped the ball with this whole write-every-day-for-a-week challenge; I wrote yesterday, but it’s safely residing in a Word document. It was raw and strange. slightly absurd really. and very pointless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

writing at JCup

transitions

Everything into Enough