First Days.

This week has been all work and newness and first days. I hate first days. I don't sleep well the night before and my shoulders stay in knots and I can't relax to save my life. I've gotten better at faking how much I hate first days but I realize its really just cramming this introvert body into the expectations of an extrovert. I like people and I even like meeting them, but it wears me out to do it all day in a new place. And I'm okay with that reality. I wish I was an extrovert, but I'm not. It's like tomatoes. I wish I liked them, could wander out to the garden and pluck a sun-warmed fresh tomato off the vine like every other person in my family, but I can't. I hate tomatoes.

I'm on my second cup of coffee and I've taken it slow because I'm doing it solo this morning. Roommates scattered and friends are all on spring break (I'm seriously really jealous.) But along with all this coffee, I've been reading my Bible and examining some sin; understanding why I am so quick to do and be certain things, have certain habits. This time in my life is a point of transitional perspective. Time for reflection and newness and asking the hard questions of what do I keep and what do I leave. I'm going to throw away the five dollar desk that's made from fake wood and I'm going to keep the blue high-backed chair with the rip. I can settle those questions. But what about habits, patterns and roads that I have walked in for a very long time. Anger. Bitterness. Fear of rejection. I'm kicking them out, throwing them away with that cheapo desk I tried to pretty up. It didn't work and this morning I'm realizing just how real and intolerable my habits of sin are. And its time for newness and grace, a life full of forgiveness. So let's be honest, tomorrow (haha. this afternoon) I will grab fistfuls of the old ways and hang on for dear life. But there is a Spirit that is moving, shaping, making me into a new creation, one full of Christ-like images and ways of living. This morning simply allowed me to remember: I belong, body and soul, to my great Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

writing at JCup

transitions

Everything into Enough