Wise Blood

oconnor-wise_blood.jpg
From http://www.holidayatthesea.com/?p=4051
I finished my first novel by Flannery O'Connor, Wise Blood. The novel, I think, is about salvation and the absence of grace. The main character, Hazel Motes, is a lost, restless man whose family is dead and whose roots are gone. He moves to a city where he meets strange characters, in particular a phony beggar who masquerades as a self-blinded preacher and Enoch, a half-insane boy whose life's only meaning is not his dead-end job at the zoo but his pulsing blood (intuition, feelings) that dictates his actions. Hazel Motes, obsessed with the reality of Jesus Christ and redemption, rebels against his grandfather's preaching and climbs on the hood of his car to preach "the Church of Christ Without Christ." The novel focuses on Hazel Motes as he desperately tries to find the truth without Christ; as he searches for meaning and salvation, he throws out the idea of a Savior. However, his means of salvation, his denial of grace, isn't enough.

I'm a fan of Flannery, but this novel was convoluted and strange. I understand her style of writing is like that, but as I read, I know that I'm missing so much and it frustrates me. Reading some commentary helped me to see some of the imagery and connections I missed, but I'm afraid my reading doesn't do justice to Flannery's writing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

writing at JCup

transitions

Everything into Enough